- During Rajiv Gandhi period, Dasari took active election campaigning for the Indian National Congress. After the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, he felt he was being distanced in the party circles.
- April 2000 Elected to Rajya Sabha.
- 2000-Feb, 2004 Member, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Technology Member, Consultative Committee, South Central Railways
- Aug, 2000 - May, 2004 Member, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- May, 2002 - 2004 Member, Committee on Official Language
- May, 2004 - 27 Nov, 2004 Minister of State in the Ministry of Coal and Mines
- 27 Nov, 2004 - Feb, 2006 Minister of State in the Ministry of Coal and Minister of State in the Ministry of Mines
- 7 Feb, 2006 onwards Minister of State in the Ministry of Coal
- Later, Dasari was elected to the Rajya Sabha thanks to the Congress party. He became the Minister of state in Ministry of Coal. Said to be a confidante of Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Dasari once again became active in politics after Congress Party came back to power in 2004.